Do you use the right proteins? We list all the proteins!

Protein

Fitness and proteins are inextricably linked. You can read about it in magazines, you can see the large pots and buckets of protein in the gym and it is also recommended on the internet on every fitness forum. Use proteins for more muscle building. But you have different proteins. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of protein? We have listed all protein types for you, so that you can make a well-founded choice.

About proteins
Protein is a nutritional component that can be found in many foods. It is found in eggs, meat, fish, nuts, beans and dairy products. Approximately 15% of our body consists of proteins and it is therefore an essential building block for humans. Proteins are good for your skin, hair, bones, nails and of course our muscles. And while it is usually preferable to obtain proteins from the original source (eggs, meat, fish, etc.), it is sometimes easier (and tastier) to obtain the proteins by means of a supplement. Eating 3 eggs every morning is not for everyone. Certainly not if you have to do it for a long period of time. In this article we will look at the different protein supplements.

What else you need to know about protein
For example
… what’s the difference between protein concentrate and protein isolate? Proteins are derived from different food sources and separated from the non-proteins, such as fats and carbohydrates. This leaves a protein concentrate of between 70%-85% pure protein. This leaves about 15% to 30% of fats and carbohydrates. In a protein isolate the purity increases up to 95%! There is also a distinction between complete proteins and incomplete proteins. You have amino acids that cannot be produced by the body. These are known as the essential amino acids. “Complete proteins” contain all the essential amino acids, while “incomplete proteins” contain only a few of the 10 amino acids.

The comparison of the proteins
Now that you know basics, we can start comparing the different proteins. We’ll start with the most popular…

Whey proteins
Whey proteins are a by-product of the production of cheese. The Whey proteins are produced during the conversion of milk to cheese. The Whey proteins are also popular because of the wide range of flavours. The flavours go as far as ‘Granny’s Apple Pie Milkshake’… no joke! You’ll find them here.

Positive: Whey proteins have been shown to help the body create ‘dry muscle mass’, but also to help you lose fat and increase your metabolism. The Whey proteins are also quickly absorbed by your body, making it perfect to use after your workout to recover. Whey proteins fall into the category ‘complete proteins’.

Less positive: Because Whey proteins are extracted from milk, this protein contains lactose. There is a large group of people who are allergic to this. In addition, the flavours are often added by means of flavourings.

Buying Whey proteins

Egg whites
Egg proteins are the most expensive proteins available. This type of protein is produced by separating the yolk from the egg and allowing the remainder to de-hydrate. This leaves the proteins.

Positive: In addition to the proteins, these protein shakes are often rich in vitamins and minerals, so they not only help to build muscle, but also fit into a healthy diet.

Less positive: The egg-proteins are very expensive and also here many people are allergic to. People with a so-called egg allergy.

Buying egg proteins

Casein proteins
Caseiin proteins are produced by a separation process that is applied to milk. During this separation process, the proteins are separated from the fats and carbohydrates contained in milk.

Positive: The casein proteins offer the same advantages as the Whey proteins, with the main difference that these proteins are released more slowly in our bodies. As a result, this type of protein is also known as a perfect ‘nightcap’.

Less positive: Because casein proteins digest slowly, this type of protein is not really suitable for muscle recovery after training. In addition, unnatural ingredients are added to this type of protein to make it more digestible.

Buying casein proteins

Soy protein
Soy protein is one of the few vegetable ‘complete proteins’. The soy proteins are concentrated by peeling the soy beans and drying them into soy flour.

Positive: Proteins from soy beans help to make the body healthier. Soy is known for its healing properties and is associated with reducing the risk of cancer and some cardiovascular diseases.

Less positive: Those soy beans have become very popular in recent years. So popular that it is almost impossible to keep track of production. That’s why many crops are genetically engineered to produce a higher crop.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *